Sunday, April 18, 2010

what?

So, I decided to make this blog based on the challenge to do '101 things in 1001 days' (the idea of which I stole from Shea--THANKS LOL). Basically, you make a list of 101 things you'd like to accomplish within 1001 days. It's very complicated. Typically I'd keep something like this to myself, but I listed a few things that I'd like to publish throughout the next few years (photographs, songs, etc.), so I thought it'd be fitting to BLOG ABOUT IT. Anyways, the first step; here's the list:



1.     Take at least one good picture every week
2.     Learn to play at least one new song per month
3.     Get in shape and stay in shape
4.     Do 100 pushups
5.     Shred some serious gnar (become reasonable at surfing)
6.     Sell some of my pictures
7.     Perform at an open mic
8.     Brew my own beer
9.     Quit drinking for at least 2 weeks
10.    Grow pot again
11.    Rock an electric axe
12.    Start and maintain a garden
13.    Go snowboarding more than twice a season
14.    Stop picking at my stupid beard
15.    …and grow a beautiful moustache
16.    Learn to drive stick
17.    Drive a motorcycle
18.    Become more self-sufficient
19.    Work on my mandolin skillz
20.    Frame more of my pictures
21.    Get back in touch with nature
22.    Get SCUBA certified
23.    Bike over mount soledad
24.    Pick up at least 3 new hobbies
25.    Rock the shit out of the harmonica
26.    Go on a cruise (pleasure or research)
27.    Furnish our apartment
28.    Go back to Europe
29.    Keep better contact with my friends from Clinton and Troy
30.    Write an album
31.    Restrict the amount of time I spend on the internet daily
32.    Stop getting so drunk during the week
33.    Learn to speak Spanish proficiently
34.    See GY!BE live
35.    Turn my cell phone off for a week
36.    Get over something that drives me insane (like the sound of people chewing. fuck)
37.    Overcome a serious fear
38.    Paint
39.    Skydive
40.    Meditate regularly
41.    Do a handstand
42.    Stop biting my nails
43.    Visit Jim
44.    Drive across the country again
45.    Learn to invest in the stock market
46.    Learn a new instrument that isn’t string.  Or, at least, that is a really sassy string instrument
47.    Learn to blow glass
48.    Go to Vancouver
49.    See the redwood forest
50.    See Yellowstone
51.    See Yosemite
52.    Camp in the 3 places above
53.    Become an expert in any subject
54.    Learn the regional geology of Southern California
55.    Learn the major plant species of Southern California (there are some seriously strange plants out here)
56.    Become proficient in Matlab
57.    Get to know our ancient Mass Spec inside and out
         (Jesus this list is getting nerdy)
58.    Play music in a band
59.    Visit my extended family
60.    Write to my Aunt Connie
61.    Explore a new genre of music
62.    Cook something extravagant
63.    Play on a soccer team
64.    Start running again
65.    Go camping alone
66.    Develop my own film and make my own prints
67.    Become a vegetarian for at least a month
68.    Make a chess set
69.    Go kayaking
70.    Go snorkeling
71.    Sleep under the stars
72.    Eat mushrooms
73.    Start a blog about this list and update it regularly
74.    Shop and eat healthier in general (go to trader joes / henrys instead of Vons, for one)
75.    Restring or sell my mandolin
76.    Go to the Telluride Blues & Brews Festival
77.    Go to Hawaii
78.    Save money in spite of this list
79.    Bike to Mexico and back
80.    Make at least one new, good friend (outside of SIO)
81.    Maintain a dream journal
82.    Pickle at least 3 things (well, I pickled one thing)

83.    Rearrange my room
84.    Take a vow of silence for a day
85.    Go to Bonnaroo again
86.    Go to Coachella
87.    Visit southern Mexico, or, anything south of Tijuana really
88.    Don’t make any expensive, unnecessary purchases for 2 months
89.    Learn the constellations
90.    Jump off a rope swing again
91.    Go cliff diving
92.    Read all of the unread books on my bookshelf
93.    Grow some herbz on my windowsill
94.    Go on a scenic scoot at least once a month
95.    Convince at least one of my friends to move out here
96.    Get a rocking sound system for my turntable (on the cheap)
97.    Go to a concert at Red Rocks
98.    Make a guitar slide from a wine bottle
99.    Go hang gliding
100.  Get my tattoo work done
101.  Go beer and wine tasting


This will primarily be an outlet for pictures and music with a few other incredibly exciting updates along the way. Also, I'm posting this drunk, on a Sunday, so clearly I'm off to a good start. Oh god.

7 comments:

  1. I claim to help you with #16!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Riley, I might have to make one of these list things too.

    I've roughly kept vegetarian for a month now just because meat tends to be kind of expensive and I'm pretty broke. If you're looking to save money, being vegetarian is probably conducive to that goal. Maybe not so much being vegan though.

    You know what new genre of music I've always wanted to check out? Flamenco. Let's explore and trade recs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. liz: we'll have to do it soon!

    tim: i'm working on it already, buying mainly veggies and pasta instead of deli meat etc. i think the hardest part is going to be buying things on the go--lunch has always been some form of meat sandwich/wrap for me. it should be interesting. also, flamenco would be excellent. i was thinking more along the lines of bluegrass/world/in-depth classic rock, but obviously i'm glad to do more than one. flamenco could be fun!

    allison: yes. unless they happen to be playing in san diego/LA, i will most likely be flying back to NYC for that show. no matter what. it's going to be absolutely amazing.

    shea: while it's not in my list, it's in my heart. actually, i'm not even sure what you mean by fire dancing, but we should totally do it when you come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to CT and we'll take care of #17

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should probably be friends.

    ReplyDelete